What You Can Do
Don't let signs of central
precocious puberty (CPP)
go unchecked
No one knows your child better than you, so trust your instincts. If you feel something isn't normal, or that your child is going through puberty too early, talk to your child's pediatrician. If the pediatrician suspects that your child has CPP, you may be referred immediately to a pediatric endocrinologist. This is a doctor who specializes in the treatment of hormone-related conditions in children.
If your child's pediatrician does not mention a pediatric endocrinologist to you, and you still suspect your child has CPP, you can ask for a referral.
Why the pediatric
endocrinologist is important
A pediatric endocrinologist is a specialist who is trained to diagnose and treat CPP. CPP is not a common condition; it occurs in 1 out of every 5,000 to 10,000 children. It is more common in girls than boys. Not every child who is diagnosed with CPP needs treatment. However, if your child is diagnosed with CPP and it is determined that your child needs treatment, there are safe and effective medicines that may help. You should have an open conversation with your pediatric endocrinologist about the benefits and possible side effects that your child may experience when they receive treatment for their CPP.
You are now leaving the PubertyTooEarly.com Web site and are moving to an external Web site independently operated and not managed by Endo Pharmaceuticals. Because Endo Pharmaceuticals does not control the content of the Web site you are about to visit, and due to its constantly changing nature, we cannot be responsible for its content, accuracy, practices, or standards. If you do not wish to leave PubertyTooEarly.com, click Cancel. If you wish to leave PubertyTooEarly.com and continue to an external Web site, click OK.